On 7/5/2014 5:52 AM, Rik Kabel wrote:
How can I specify different section depths for different parts in a
document in the TOC? That is, if the document structure is:

   Front Matter
   Body Matter
    Part 1
      Chapter 1
       Section 1
      Chapter 2
       Section 1
       Section 2
    Part 2
      Chapter 1
       Section 1
       Section 2
      Chapter 2
       Section 1
    Appendices
      Chapter 1
       Section 1
      Chapter 2
       Section 1
    Back Matter
      Notes
      Bibliography

How can I generate chapter and section entriess in the TOC for Part 1,
but chapter entries only (no section entries) for Part 2 and the
Appendices.

I currently do this by defining a new header equivalent to section and
using that for Part 2 and Appendix sections. Since it is not included in
the lists used by the contents combinedlist, it does not get set.

Is this the best way to do this?

\definehead[silentsection][section]

\starttext

    \placelist[chapter,section]

    \chapter{first}
    \section{first}

    \chapter{first}
    \silentsection{first}

\stoptext

If instead I want one depth for all body matter parts and a different
depth for the appendices, is there a solution that could be keyed on
system modes or on section blocks, thus moving all of the styling to the
preamble (to use a LaTeX term)? I currently do that to support different
header formats in the body matter and appendices, using the following
method, but I suspect that there may be a more effective way to do that
as well.

   \startsetups        [Header]
     \startallmodes    [print,*bodypart]
       {\color[PrintHeaderColor]{\PrintHeaderFont
{\llap{\getmarking[chapternumber]~}\getmarking[chapter]}}
     \stopallmodes
     \startallmodes    [print,*appendix]
       \color[PrintHeaderColor]{\PrintHeaderFont
         {\getmarking[chapter]}}
     \stopallmodes
   \stopsetups
   \setupheadertexts   []
   \setupheadertexts [\setups{Header}][][][\setups{Header}]

Again, I prefer a method that can be implemented in the preamble. (MKIV
only.)