On 2014-07-05 05:43, Hans Hagen wrote:
On 7/5/2014 5:52 AM, Rik Kabel wrote:
How can I specify different section depths for different parts in a
document in the TOC? That is, if the document structure is:

   Front Matter
   Body Matter
    Part 1
      Chapter 1
       Section 1
      Chapter 2
       Section 1
       Section 2
    Part 2
      Chapter 1
       Section 1
       Section 2
      Chapter 2
       Section 1
    Appendices
      Chapter 1
       Section 1
      Chapter 2
       Section 1
    Back Matter
      Notes
      Bibliography

How can I generate chapter and section entriess in the TOC for Part 1,
but chapter entries only (no section entries) for Part 2 and the
Appendices.

I currently do this by defining a new header equivalent to section and
using that for Part 2 and Appendix sections. Since it is not included in
the lists used by the contents combinedlist, it does not get set.

Is this the best way to do this?

\definehead[silentsection][section]

\starttext

    \placelist[chapter,section]

    \chapter{first}
    \section{first}

    \chapter{first}
    \silentsection{first}

\stoptext

Yes, that is just what I do now, except that I use \completecontent and not \placelist[chapter,section], having excluded lower-level sectioning headers via \setupcombinedlist. I am asking if there is a way to take advantage of user-defined or system modes, or section blocks, to accomplish this without requiring explicit markup (silentsection in your example) in the text. I suspect that it is possible, particularly if I want the silentsections only in certain section blocks.

The document is set differently for print and screen, and minimizing the differences after \starttext seems to me to be generally advantageous.

If instead I want one depth for all body matter parts and a different
depth for the appendices, is there a solution that could be keyed on
system modes or on section blocks, thus moving all of the styling to the
preamble (to use a LaTeX term)? I currently do that to support different
header formats in the body matter and appendices, using the following
method, but I suspect that there may be a more effective way to do that
as well.

   \startsetups        [Header]
     \startallmodes    [print,*bodypart]
       {\color[PrintHeaderColor]{\PrintHeaderFont
{\llap{\getmarking[chapternumber]~}\getmarking[chapter]}}
     \stopallmodes
     \startallmodes    [print,*appendix]
       \color[PrintHeaderColor]{\PrintHeaderFont
         {\getmarking[chapter]}}
     \stopallmodes
   \stopsetups
   \setupheadertexts   []
   \setupheadertexts [\setups{Header}][][][\setups{Header}]

Again, I prefer a method that can be implemented in the preamble. (MKIV
only.)

--
Rik Kabel