Hello,

On Sat, 02 Aug 2014 19:07:43 +0200, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Don’t use the \os command this way because the command is only meant to be used
on the form {\os 1234} where you put braces around the numbers you want to
change. When you use the \os command as shown above you get problems because
ligatures, kerning etc. are disabled by the command.

OK, thanks for explanation.

This means that one has to switch to \os only when a number is to be printed.

So when I want all numbers in the document to be old-style (and also ligatures
etc. be kept), I have to:

1) switch to {\os } when writing a number manually,

2) define "old-style-making-commands" wherever numbers are generated
automatically, i.e. e.g.:
        - head commands (sections, chapters...),
        - enumerator commands (which use numbers),
        - page numbering commands,
        - href commands (which generate texts like "see section 1.2.3 on page
123").

It seems to me be a little "labor of Sisyphus" at the moment.

(But it's clear one would have to enclose manually entered numbers to {\os } or
similar structure anyway.)

Thanks anyway,

Lukas

\starttext

AV TA fi ffi fl ffl

{\os AV TA fi ffi fl ffl}

\stoptext

A different method to enable old style figures is to use the \feature command
which enables the feature without canceling ligatures etc.

\definefontfeature[f:oldstyle][onum=yes]

\starttext

0123456789 {\os 0123456789} 0123456789

0123456789 \feature[+][f:oldstyle]0123456789 \feature[-][f:oldstyle]0123456789

\stoptext

Wolfgang