On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 14:25:11 +0200
Keith Schultz <keithjschu...@icloud.com> wrote:

> BUT, Michal I believe has a point. Or should I say has come across a
> FLAW, according to my view of things. ConTeXt should warn...

I was warned (a few years ago) on the mailing list NOT to place any
text outside of structure elements. For example,

\starttext
This is a forward.
\startchapter[title=First chapter]
\input tufte
\stopchapter
This is a an afterthought.
\stoptext

Of course, this works, but I was warned that everything might not work
correctly as expected outside of the structure, since such text is
"nowhere".

I cannot remember the example of what had gone haywire, but I leaned my
lesson (and started systematically using \start\stop for everything,
well, not for paragraphs as I find that a bit too heavy...).

As to WARNINGS: ConTeXt generally silently ignores incorrect coding,
unknown options, etc. One might call for all sorts of "bells and
whistles" but these come at a performance cost so I have also learned
to do without them. Of course, this sometimes makes debugging one's
errors a bit more difficult, but after 10 years or so of practice one
will no longer make many errors! (one of my favorites still is
"\startext") ;-)

Alan