On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 22:39:02 +0100, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfg...@gmail.com> wrote:

but I'm already stumbling about the next thing. while playing around with
some nice fonts I also tried out `optima' (like palatino by h. zapf).
so that is what I see:

mtxrun --script font --list --all --name --pattern=*optima*

optima optimaextrablack /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc index: 0 optimablack optimaextrablack /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc index: 0 optimabold optimabold /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc index: 3 optimabolditalic optimabolditalic /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc index: 1 optimaextrablack optimaextrablack /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc index: 0 optimaitalic optimaitalic /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc index: 2 optimanormal optimaitalic /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc index: 2 optimaregular optimaregular /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc index: 4

then, when using, e.g.,

\definefontfamily [mainface] [serif] [Optima]
\definefontfamily [mainface] [sans]  [Optima]
\definefontfamily [mainface] [mono] [dejavusansmono] [scale=0.865] %dejavumono/optima x-height ratio
\definefontfamily [mainface] [math]  [TeX Gyre Pagella Math]
\setupbodyfont[mainface,11pt]

neither \it nor \bf (italic and bold) variants are working in the body text (but are just rendered
in the regular \rm font).

I guess your context version is too old because the current version in the standalone
installation of context shows the italic and bold styles.

I use

mtx-context     | ConTeXt Process Management 0.60
mtx-context     |
mtx-context | main context file: /opt/local/share/texmf-texlive/tex/context/base/context.mkiv
mtx-context     | current version: 2014.05.21 22:04

do you have any idea whether this already is 'too old'? if it is: is it recommendable to actually install standalone context beside/instead of the version included in texlive? (I mean, if the actual goal is to write some documents rather than diving deep into context for
its own sake ;-))

Wolfgang