On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 13:32:07 -0700, Pablo Rodriguez <oi...@gmx.es> wrote:

On 01/17/2015 03:45 PM, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد wrote:

Similar experience here; see below. But even the conversion to epub had
issues, especially in getting the front matter to come out right.

Sorry, what was wrong in the conversion to ePub?

Just getting a simple copyright page prior to the TOC page was a pain. I ended up having to patch the xml manually (IIRC you helped me in that thread...)

Unless you number your headings manually, you won’t get numbers in them.

As far as I know, automatic numbering is impossible in ePub 2 (there
seem to be no counters available).

Is there any other feature you miss when converting to ePub.

As mentioned above, pandoc seems to have issues in getting the correct flow for Title-Page=>Copyright-Page=>TOC=>Main-Text. Transmitting this info to ConTeXt was also problematic. That's why I finally had to decouple things at the end of the process.

In my opinion, the right way to go is to convert the markdown source to
HTML and to parse it with an environment. Otherwise, updating the source
is not straightforward (either you have two sources: markdown and
ConTeXt).

What do you mean by 'parse it with an environment'? Could you give an
example?

Well, the ConTeXt Suite has at least one:
tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/x-html.mkiv.

Environments are the standard way that ConTeXt has to directly typeset
XML files (http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/xml-mkiv.pdf).

Sorry, but I cannot send a more elaborate sample right now.

I understand now, thanks!

Why do you prefer to avoid markdown as a source document format?

I did a small-book project last year with markdown as source, with pdf and epub output. 95% or so was good but towards the end I had no choice but to
decouple the context and epub files (so I had to deal with two sources).
For that project I would say that the markdown/pandoc workflow was a
qualified success.

Well, two sources is suboptimal at best.

Indeed!

OTOH I was not the author of that small book. As a writer I am more used
to writing in ConTeXt than in markdown; the flow of ideas is less
disturbed that way. Closely related, the current project has a lot of
bibliographical references and I don't want to manually write a
bibliography in markdown.

pandoc itself seems to be able to deal with bibliographies (I have never
used them myself [either in pandoc, or in TeX]).

Perhaps I'll experiment, but *after* this article is finished :-)

Thanks and best wishes
Idris
--
Idris Samawi Hamid, Professor