I have two problems with figures placed into the left or right margin. When the figure is in a group, extra whitespace is inserted between the paragraphs that precede and follow the placefigure command. This happens for figures placed by startplacefigure/stopplacefigure and tradiitonal placefigure commands, and paragraphs placed by startparagraph/stopparagraph or marked by par or newlines.

When the figure is not in a group, whitespace called for by \setupwhitespace is lost, except when the paragraphs are marked by traditional means. That is, whitespace is lost when startparagraph/stopparagraph is used.

Interestingly, when that is changed to bpar/epar, the problem for ungrouped figures disappears, but as I understand it, bpar/epar is not a real substitute for startparagraph/stopparagraph.

There is probably a simple explanation, but it eludes me. I prefer to be able to use startparagraph/stopparagraph, and it is sometimes desirable to place a figure into a group in order to prevent unique settings from leaking out.

The following should demonstrate the problem. Turning on grid setting makes it worse. I get the same result with current betas and older versions.

   \useMPlibrary   [dum]
   %\showgrid
   \setuplayout    [%grid=yes,
                     backspace=151pt,leftmargin=117pt]
   \setupwhitespace[big]
   \define\Paragraph{\startparagraph\input khatt-en\stopparagraph}
   \starttext
   {
      \subject{Start/stop paragraphs and figures}
      \subsubject{Group, extra whitespace}
      \Paragraph
      \Paragraph
      \begingroup
        \startplacefigure[location={leftmargin,none}]
          \externalfigure[A]
        \stopplacefigure
      \endgroup
      \Paragraph
      \Paragraph
      \subsubject{No group, no whitespace}
      \Paragraph
      \Paragraph
      \startplacefigure[location={leftmargin,none}]
        \externalfigure[A]
      \stopplacefigure
      \Paragraph
      \Paragraph
      \Paragraph
   }
      \page
   {
      \subject{Start/stop paragraphs, traditional figures}
      \subsubject{Group, extra whitespace}
      \Paragraph
      \Paragraph
      {\placefigure[leftmargin,none]{}{\externalfigure[A]}}
      \Paragraph
      \Paragraph
      \subsubject{No group, no whitespace}
      \Paragraph
      \Paragraph
      \placefigure[leftmargin,none]{}{\externalfigure[A]}
      \Paragraph
      \Paragraph
      \Paragraph
   }
      \page
   {
      \subject{Traditional paragraphs, start/stop figures}
      \subsubject{Group, extra whitespace}
      \input khatt-en\par
      \input khatt-en\par
      \begingroup% or \bgroup or {
        \startplacefigure[location={leftmargin,none}]
          \externalfigure[A]
        \stopplacefigure
      \endgroup% or \egroup or }
      \input khatt-en\par
      \input khatt-en\par
      \subsubject{Okay}
      \input khatt-en\par
      \input khatt-en\par
      \startplacefigure[location={leftmargin,none}]
        \externalfigure[A]
      \stopplacefigure
      \input khatt-en\par
      \input khatt-en\par
      \input khatt-en\par
   }
      \page
   {
      \subject{Traditional paragraphs, traditional figures}
      \subsubject{Group, extra whitespace}
      \input khatt-en\par
      \input khatt-en\par
      {\placefigure[leftmargin,none]{}{\externalfigure[A]}}
      \input khatt-en\par
      \input khatt-en\par
      \subsubject{Okay}
      \input khatt-en\par
      \input khatt-en\par
      \placefigure[leftmargin,none]{}{\externalfigure[A]}
      \input khatt-en\par
      \input khatt-en\par
      \input khatt-en\par
   }