On 2015-04-26 14:01, Hans Hagen wrote:
On 4/26/2015 3:32 AM, Rik Kabel wrote:
I have two problems with figures placed into the left or right margin.
When the figure is in a group, extra whitespace is inserted between the
paragraphs that precede and follow the placefigure command. This happens
for figures placed by startplacefigure/stopplacefigure and tradiitonal
placefigure commands, and paragraphs placed by
startparagraph/stopparagraph or marked by par or newlines.

When the figure is not in a group, whitespace called for by
\setupwhitespace is lost, except when the paragraphs are marked by
traditional means. That is, whitespace is lost when
startparagraph/stopparagraph is used.

Interestingly, when that is changed to bpar/epar, the problem for
ungrouped figures disappears, but as I understand it, bpar/epar is not a
real substitute for startparagraph/stopparagraph.

There is probably a simple explanation, but it eludes me. I prefer to be
able to use startparagraph/stopparagraph, and it is sometimes desirable
to place a figure into a group in order to prevent unique settings from
leaking out.

you can test with this in cont-new.mkiv

\unprotect

\def\page_sides_inject_dummy_lines
  {\begingroup
   \scratchcounter\pageshrink
   \divide\scratchcounter \baselineskip
   \advance\scratchcounter \plusone
   \parskip\zeropoint
   \dorecurse\scratchcounter{\hbox to \hsize{}}%
   \kern-\scratchcounter\baselineskip
   \penalty\zerocount
   \endgroup}

\def\page_sides_prepare_space
  {\par
  %\whitespace
   \begingroup
   \forgetall
   \reseteverypar
   \verticalstrut
   \vskip-\struttotal
   \endgroup}

\protect

Thank you, Hans. That works well, both on the example and on a more complex real document.

--
Rik