On Tue, 12 May 2015, Maggyero wrote:

Hans Hagen wrote:
for functions one can now use:
\setupmathematics
  [functionstyle=\rm]

Fantastic! Thank you Hans, it is way better than the old mechanism
\setmathfunctionstyle. Now I have a few suggestions to improve the
consistency of this new mechanism. First, I think this functionstyle key
a) should be better called 'mathlabelstyle';

No. The style applies to anything called using \mfunction{...}, so functionstyle and functioncoloar are appropriate keys.

b) be default to \tf to make the FONT ALTERNATIVE always upright;

I disagree. The default should be \mathupright (as is the case in amstex and latex, and probably also plaintex). We now have the option to change it to \tf if desired.

c) be linked to this following new definition in math-ini.mkiv:

+ \unexpanded\def\mathlabel#1{\text{\mathlabelstyle #1}}

so that \mathlabel can be used for labeling math objects like functions but
ALSO for labeling variables with subscripts (e.g., \rho_{\mathlabel{air}}).
The hardcoded \text in the definition of \mathlabel is used here for these
5 reasons:

Hans already replied to that.

That \mathlabel should replace \mfunction which should be removed, and
\mfunctionlabeltext should be removed as well and one should directly use
the already defined \mathlabeltext instead, for these 3 reasons:

I strongly disagree to this. These are two completely different issues (wanting a macro to tag multiletter variable names vs a macro to tag log-like operators).

1. Every command containing the word 'labeltext' should not have a style
attached to it.
2. The word 'function' is misleading because \mfunction and
\mfunctionlabeltext do not create a \mathop atom and it makes the user
believe its usage is restricted for labeling functions while the command
should also be used for labeling variable with subscripts (e.g.,
\rho_{\mathlabel{air}} is far better than \rho_\mfunction{air}).
3. Using only \mathlabeltext with \setuplabeltext is also more consistent
with the current \labeltext that works with \setuplabeltext.

Thus the function definitions in math-def.mkiv should be changed:

- \definemathcommand [arccos]  [nolop] {\mfunctionlabeltext{arccos}}
+ \definemathcommand [arccos]  [nolop] {\mathlabel{\mathlabeltext{arccos}}}
etc.

I don't see the rationale for this.

And I think you should add in this file the definition of the differential
operator which is so widely used in mathematics, so that users have at
their disposal once for all a proper implementation of this operator and
don't have to make their own hack:

+ \definemathcommand[diff]{\mathop{\mathlabel{d}}\mathopen{}}

Note that there is no consensus on how the `d` in calculus should be typeset. There are also \differentiald and \differentialD that map to unicode slots.

\definemathcommand[arsinh][nolop]{\mathlabel{arsinh}}

\starttext
$\arsinh z = \ln\bigl(z + \sqrt{z^2 + 1}\bigr)$\par
$\rho_{\mathlabel{air}} = \frac{p}{R_{\mathlabel{specific}}T}$\par
\stoptext

\mfunction already does that.

I'll reply to the rest of the message later.

Aditya