On Sat, 16 May 2015, Maggyero wrote:

Aditya Mahajan:
The default should be \mathupright (as is the case in amstex
and latex, and probably also plaintex).

Hans Hagen:
next beta: when one of the stylealternatives text mode else mathmode
(default nothing == math upright)

Hans Hagen:
Because like in \mtext, the \text command is ESSENTIAL (for the function
names to have the mathcodes, kerning and ligatures of the text mode instead
of the ones of the math mode).
that is not needed because if you use a style known as text style a text
font is used

Alright, but why not ALWAYS use your text style (or my \text), why talking
about \mathupright then? \mathupright should never be used to display a
name in text style in my opinion. I don't get it, is there something that I
missed with that \mathupright? (And I'm not managing to download the new
beta of yesterday so I don't have access to the new code yet).

Plaintex, amstex, and latex, all default to using \mathupright (or equivalent).

Compare the output of the following:

1. Plain tex:
\font\tenrm=ptmr7t at 10pt \tenrm
log $\log$ log
\bye

2. Latex:
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{times} % Only changes the text font
\begin{document}
log $\log$ log
\end{document}

3. Context:
\definetypeface[mainfont][rm][serif][times][default]
\definetypeface[mainfont][mm][math] [modern][default]
\setupbodyfont[mainfont]
\starttext
log $\log$ log
\stoptext

By default, in all three formats the font for \log is mathupright rather than textrm. There needs to be a rationale for ConTeXt default to be different from other formats. Do you have any reference to a math book or journal that uses text fonts for \log-like operators?

If you want you can set \setupmathematics[functionstyle=normal] and achieve the behaviour that you want.

Aditya