On 3/26/2016 2:31 PM, Jan Tosovsky wrote:
On 2016-03-26 Hans Hagen wrote:
On 2016-03-24 Hans Hagen wrote:
On 3/24/2016 8:36 PM, Jan Tosovsky wrote:

We basically need:
<text><glue min-width='XX' max-width='hsize-3*indent'>

and I thought this is exactly what \parfillskip ensures
\parfillskip XX plus (hsize - 3*indent)

the fil is taken into account when calculating the best break
points and then the XX is fixed but plus/minus can lead to if
being less or more, all relative to other fill (distributed)

so, XX plus (hsize - 3*indent) is not a fixed value, it's XX
or more

So the following \parfillskip specification finally seems to be
what I was looking for ...

\parfillskip \lastlinemingap plus
\dimexpr\availablehsize-\lastlineminlength-\lastlinemingap\relax

\parfillskip \lastlinemingap plus 1fill

works just as well

I am getting slightly different results on several pages. The number of
problematic cases is lower in my variant so I hope it makes still sense.

try \ward{}okay i.e. a short word at the end

Hmm, I indeed tested my approach with bad example.
Now your previous examples make more sense to me :-)

for your case i see no solution apart from heuristic lua magic

Bad news. But I hope my parfillskip will work for majority cases and these
problematic with words shorter than parindent+tolerance can be fixed afterwards
by joining them with previous words using non-breaking space.

that is what previously posted alternative hyphenater code does: making sure that there are some reasonable amount of characters / words

I'll look into your 'crap' paragraph builder lua code if this exception could
be handled programmatically without touching the source file (i.e. test for
short last line and treat leading whitespace as it was '~' if necessary).

Jan