On 4/22/2016 9:33 AM, Meer, Hans van der wrote:

On 21 Apr 2016, at 10:41, Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl
<mailto:pra...@wxs.nl>> wrote:

your

\xmlsetsetup{#1}{*}{-}

makex takenotes into a nothing ... (comment that line if needed to see
effects in your code)

I got that line from your first demo program in "Dealing with XML in
ConTeXt Mkiv":

\startxmlsetups xml:demo:base
(1)   \xmlsetsetup{#1}{*}{-}
(2)   \xmlsetsetup{#1}{document|section|p}{xml:demo:*}
\stopxmlsetups

The comment on page 7 with that demo:
(1) \xmlsetup{demo}{*}{-} sets the default for each element (the *) to
'just ignore it' (the -). A + would...
(2) followed by  "this means that at this point we only handle" and I
understood from this that because of the 'section' in statement (2) the
<section> node will get processed. Congruent with this example I wrote
in my example:

\startxmlsetups notes:setups
   \xmlinclude{#1}{include}{file}
   \xmlsetsetup{#1}{*}{-}
   \xmlsetsetup{#1}{takenotes}{notes:*}
\stopxmlsetups

expecting this to mean that <takenotes> will be activated by it. Is that
a misunderstanding?

given that you have a setup "notes:takenotes"