On 2016-06-29 Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> I want to play with CNC and don't yet have any experience with CAD
> software (nor the licence for the expensive ones) other than perhaps
> some Blender, so I decided to try to use the super ugly route with
> metapost -> svg -> dxf -> g-code for the first time.

For simple shapes I'd choose Inkscape SVG editor, which can export to DXF
directly. In settings you can customize the coords precision to reduce those
fractions.

For more sophisticated designing I'd skip simple 2D CADs and use parametric
tools instead (allowing to use equations instead of fixed values which
simplifies future refactoring).

I'd recommend Autodesk Fusion, which is even free for enthusiasts:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-activate-start-up-or-educational-licensing-for-Fusion-360.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzqXo0d0W8s

Jan