On 7/12/2016 11:17 PM, Henri Menke wrote:

Adding \usecolors[xwi] to the example does not change anything.  Looking
at base/colo-imp-xwi.mkiv revealed, that it does not alter the way
colors are defined, but just defines a huge bunch of additional ones.

afaiks it has the same 'gray' as tikz 'gray' and that is what you want

I'm very sorry for the confusion.  What I did was to adjust ConTeXt's
gray to have the same grayscale value as the tikzgray.  As is shown
below, the redefinition of gray does not propagate to TikZ.

that is as Aditya mentioned probably due to the fact that some of these built in colors are not using the normal color resolver and there's nothing we can do about (apart from rewriting part of the tikz color interface which is not on my agenda)

So it seems as if gray *should* be propagated from ConTeXt to TikZ,
which apparently takes place when loading TikZ.  Moving
\definecolor[gray][s=0.5] before \usemodule[tikz] shows this behavior.

The question is how to keep colors from ConTeXt and TikZ in sync.

by defining them in your document (at least these 10 or so predefined colors)

(you could have similar issues with colors defined in rgb or cmky in one or the other)