Hi Jan,

if I understood you correctly, this should produce what you are after.

\starttext

\startformula
  E = mc^2
\stopformula

\startformula
  \startalign[m=3,align={middle},distance=0pt plus 1 fil]
    \NC \rlap{\text{Text1}}                        \NC\NC E=mc^2 \NR
    \NC \rlap{\text{This is an explanation}}       \NC\NC
E=\sqrt{p^2c^2+m^2c^4} \NR
    \NC \rlap{\text{This is a longer explanation}} \NC\NC \left(\beta
mc^2+c\left(\sum _{n=1}^3 \alpha_n p_n \right)\right) \psi(x,t) = i \hbar
\frac{\partial \psi(x,t)}{\partial t} \NR
  \stopalign
\stopformula

\stoptext

The inner workings of this solution are quite messy.  You *have* to have the
\NC\NC between text and formula and the formula must not contain any further
alignment points; text has to be enclosed in \rlap.  As you can see it centers
the formula unconditionally and just flows into the text if it doesn't fit.
Just don't do it like this.

Cheers, Henri