On 1/24/2017 11:33 AM, j. van den hoff wrote:
hi everybody,

after a 2 year hiatus I'm just giving `context' a second try (so, really
not much experience so far).

I updated to the latest version (0.63) before proceeding.

0.63 what? luatex? then you need to check things as we're beyond 1.00 now

two observations:

1.
in a new document including assorted equations everything went fine
until I tried something like

\startformula
x = \left 1 + 2 \right
\stopformula

\left( ... \right)

left and right take an argument that has to be some known open or close operator

which caused an error:

8<------------------------------------------------------------------
 ! Undefined control sequence

\strc_synonyms_insert_meaning ...urrentsynonymtag
                                                  {#2}\fastsetup
{\??simplel...
\math_left ...ame \??mathleft \meaning \nexttoken
                                                  \endcsname
\expandafter \l...
l.472 x = \left (
                1 + 2 \right )

2.
an old document (not modified these 2 years) does no longer compile due
to apparently the same problem (not understanding `\left', `\right'.

question: my understanding is, that `context' supports "everything" out
of the box (notably equations) and there is no need for explicit loading
of additional packages? so `\left' etc. _should be defined (and it
_used_ to work 2 years ago)? what am I missing?

thx, joerg