Hi all,

I need some fundamental advice from experienced users: I'm processing xml and collecting the data in lua tables, which I want to typeset in some sort of table or tabular format. Typesetting requirements are fairly low, just a couple of columns that need to be nicely aligned, with the occasional horizontal overflow that should be handled gracefully (i.e. longer lines should be broken), and of course, the table has to break across pages. However, the lua tables have several thousands of entries, and I expect the final document to have around 3,000 pages. When I tried Natural Tables, I got a "TeX capacity exceeded" error, which disappeared when I tried with a smaller part of my document. So my question is: what is the most "inexpensive" way of typesetting this sort of material? One of the table environments? Which one (would xtables be better?)? Or low-level vboxes within hboxes etc.? Or just \framed within \framed? What would you suggest for this sort of material?

Thanks for your insights!

Thomas