Hi guys, I downloaded a sample presentation with component and example
presentation from a link off of ctxwiki. I will attach both files and a
premade PDF that shows what I mean.

So far I edited the component a little in display style, yet I don't know
why I can't get a simple table of content on the second slide.

In the component I found the following code:

\definehead
    [slide]
    [subject]
    [
      style=\ssbfc,
      color=foreground:contrast,
      alternative=middle,
      page=yes
    ]

So I understand that the head called slide comes from the head subject,
which by default isn't shown in the table of content. So I searched ctxwiki
for table of content and modified the above setup to

\definehead
    [slide]
    [subject]  % default: subject
    [
      style=\ssbfc,
      color=foreground:contrast,
      alternative=middle,
      page=yes,
*      incrementnumber=yes,  % keep track of the number*
*      number=no             % but don't show it*
    ]

I also added the following line:

\setuplist[subject][width=2cm]

The example .tex then starts with

\starttext

\setvariables
\startslide
\stopslide

So I inserted another \startslide \stopslide with \placecontent in between:

\startslide[title={T.o.c.}]
  \placecontent
\stopslide

Yet the rendered PDF shows only a blank page where the TOC is supposed to
be.

Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong?
Thanks in advance,

Sebastian