Sorry, another side question: Is there no way to set the distance from the
title in the TOC to the page number? I tried alternative=c with width,
maxwidth, distance...
I still can't set it tighter. Going from the far left to the far right is
not good from the audience's POV. I saw some example *.tex from the CTX
distribution but none of them seems to use that mechanism except for
charts-mkiv. That again uses columns. But in my case it doesn't split the
content, but creates only the left column. You can try with the documents
and code snippets that I pasted.