On 12/5/2018 10:29 PM, Alan Braslau wrote:
On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 19:47:31 +0100
Marco Patzer <li...@homerow.info> wrote:

Hi!

I've got a few unfortunate line breaks in my documents. In
particular, breaks are introduced in between the string “page” and
the number:

   See figure 1 at page
   2.

The reason is that many strings in lang-txt.lua end in a space,
rather than a non-break space:

   ["atpage"]={
    ["labels"]={
     …
     ["en"]="at page ",
     …

I fixed this by defining

   \setuplabeltext
     [en]
     [atpage=at page\nbsp]

So I wonder: Does it ever make sense to have a regular space at the
end of those commands? I just skimmed through the file and most, if
not all, strings ending in a space would actually benefit from having
it replaced by a non-break space IMO.

Example:

\def\pageref#1%%
   {\in{figure}[#1] \labeltext{atpage}\at[#1]}

\starttext
   \hsize 3cm
   See \pageref{foo}.

   \page \startplacefigure [reference=foo] \stopplacefigure
\stoptext

I agree, it drives me
nuts to see p.
5 or in Figure
8 etc.

Also, how about:

\at{\labeltext{atpage}}[#1]

indeed, that is the command to use

(and does this make the space in the label redundant?)
In any case it is a bit sloppy...
can you experiment with this

\unexpanded\def\leftofreferencecontent
  {\removeunwantedspaces