On 12/6/2018 10:26 AM, Marco Patzer wrote:
On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 09:34:57 +0100
Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

Also, how about:

\at{\labeltext{atpage}}[#1]

indeed, that is the command to use

Don't get too hung up on that command. That was just a quick way to
demonstrate the point and create an MWE.

can you experiment with this

\unexpanded\def\leftofreferencecontent
    {\removeunwantedspaces
     \nobreakspace
     \ignorespaces}

This fixes the MWE, but it doesn't prevent all "unfortunate" line
breaks caused by the spaces. At least it doesn't if \labeltext is
used separately to obtain the translated strings.

Currently I use (in one of my modules):

   \def\foo{\labeltext\v!atpage\currentreferencepage}

This works (as by your suggestion):

   \def\foo{\labeltext\v!atpage
     \removeunwantedspaces\nobreakspace\ignorespaces
     \currentreferencepage}

Which basically replaces the space with a non-break space after the
fact.

So I wonder if it's not a better solution to fix the initial
definitions. But I might be mistaken or I'm overlooking something
where this might cause issues.
it then interferes with mechanisms that inject spaces themselves (as \at{...}[]

(i'll add am auto check space and replace by nonbreak space trick)