Hi Paul,

Nice idea, and I actually like the multi-color version although it is a
bit too informal for some uses (but could be nice for the wiki).

It would be more coherent if the color of the squares and the color of
the letters trailed each other around the 7 options in the writing order
for the word “CONTEXT” (C = orange+blue, O = blue+green, N = green+red
etc.) But perhaps that is not what you wanted?

On the blue logo I tried a little experiment myself, using the
colors of http://group.contextgarden.net:

WDYT?

Side note: I like what gitlab does with the logo in the circle crop
for its project icon. I believe it would be neat if that could be
formalised into the logo itself, but a simple circle crop does not
quite look right, and more advanced options like distorting the actual
squares are outside of my inkscape knowledge. And it may not look
that good in the end, anyway …

I’ll be pleased to replace the current green logo on the wiki with
your multi-color one, assuming there is a some agreement and no
strong objections.

Best wishes,
Taco

> On 29 Jan 2019, at 00:18, Paul Schalck <schick...@web.de> wrote:
>
> Dear ConTeXt users and developers,
>
> I want to submit a new ConTeXt logo to you (link to GitLab project):
>
> https://gitlab.com/schickele/new-context-logo
>
> I made this logo in February 2018. At the time, I was planning to do some
> video tutorials on ConTeXt (still work in progress), and I wanted a nice
> looking visual clue for the thumbnails. Recently, I made a few minor tweaks
> and thought it would be the right time to put it out there.
>
> The logo comes in two different layouts (hexagonal and horizontal), and each
> layout comes in two color variations (multicolored and blue).
>
> The hexagonal layout is borrowed from the unofficial ConTeXt logo that has
> been around for some time. I like the idea of a clean geometrical form, and
> the hexagon reminds me of chemistry formulas -- one of the many application
> fields of ConTeXt.
>
> The seven colors have mainly an esthetic purpose. They also denote the
> flexibility of ConTeXt. I've added a monochromatic blue version because
> shiny, saturated colors are not suitable for every case, and blue is strongly
> associated with ConTeXt to me. Blue is also a reminder of Mark IV and LuaTeX.
>
> The letters are set in Din17 EF, which I've licensed. I like its simple
> shapes combined with a round and soft touch. It avoids consciously the very
> connoted Computer Modern and can be seen as a modernized and also
> Europeanized interpretation of the TeX tradition.
>
> This logo is just a humble proposal. Perhaps it is of some use to someone. It
> could also make someone else want to create and share his or her logo -- that
> would be great.
>
> I'm using ConTeXt since 2006/07 for almost everything that contains text:
> letters, presentations, invitations, résumés, certificates, manuals, reports,
> flyers, university papers, book typesetting, exercise sheets, song sheets,
> and I'm still amazed by how powerful, flexible and reliable it is. Thanks to
> the whole community -- and particularly to the Dutch wizard -- for making
> this possible!
>
> Greetings from Leimen, Germany
>
> Paul Schalck

Taco Hoekwater