On 2/4/2020 8:27 PM, kaddour kardio wrote:
Since ConTeXT is closer to plain TeX than LaTeX, it is more legitimate to got the "dot tex" than latex :)

Le mar. 4 févr. 2020 à 17:57, Pablo Rodriguez <oi...@gmx.es <mailto:oi...@gmx.es>> a écrit :

    On 2/3/20 3:28 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
     > On 2/3/2020 3:07 PM, Philipp A. wrote:
     >> Hi!
     >>
     >> Most text editors have LaTeX specific syntax highlighting, so it
    makes
     >> sense to give your ConTeXt file a ending it can be distinguished
    with.
     >> Is there a blessed one?
     >>
     >>   * .ctx: Would mirror the semi-common .ltx, but is used for XML
    files
     >>     inside of ConTeXt itself
     >
     > context ctx files are xml files indeed
     >
     >>   * .mkiv: Is that just for ConTeXt or all LuaTeX stuff? Would
    it make
     >>     sense to give text documents that extension?
     >
     > you can do that (or mkvi or lmtx or ...)

    Since there are already *.mkxl files in the ConTeXt distribution, I
    think it may make sense to name the LMTX version MkXL.

    In any case, MkXL is simpler and clearer that MkIV with LMTX.
mkiv (four)   : files that expect mkiv (or lmtx)
mkvi (six)    : mkiv (or lmtx) files that pass a filter
mkxl (fourty) : files that expect lmtx
mklx (sixty)  : lmtx files that pass a filter

(there are some more, like template files and so)

I suppose that latex syntax highlighting filters support tex and sty and maybe suffixes i'm noti aware of. So a context specific highlighter could support mkiv, mkvi, mkxk and mkvi. At least that's what I do here.