On Thu, 13 Aug 2020, jbf wrote:

> Where running heads (headers) are concerned, if I use \chapter I have no
> problems, nor should I expect any. But because I am also using \title,
> given that I need some unnumbered chapters interspersed  among them, I
> run into difficulties with headers. Numbered chapters have the correct
> headers, unnumbered ones (with \title) either don't have them, or do not
> have the proper chapter header (they pick up the header from the
> previous numbered chapter).
>
> At the moment the only thing I have in the preamble is the expected set
> of commands for the numbered chapters:
>
>   [{\hfill\getmarking[chapter]\hfill}][]
>    [{\hfill\documentvariable{metadata:title}\hfill}][]
>
> I thought that might work for the unnumbered ones (\title), thinking
> that maybe \title inherits from \chapter, but it doesn't. But no amount
> of variations on the above commands (repeating them but replacing
> 'chapter' with 'title'; adding [title] or just title, in the first set
> of commands in various positions...) gives me the correct result.
>
> I am assuming, of course, that there is a solution to this difficulty,
> and that it may be simple. But I haven't found it. Is the problem that I
> am using \title in the main body to get my unnumbered chapters? I
> wouldn't think so? It produces the correct result, utlimatley, in the
> TOC, Is it possible that I may have something else in my preamble that
> is causing the problem? If so, I can't expect someone to 'guess' that
> from outside! But at the moment I don't think that is the problem.
>
> If not a direct solution, are there any clues someone might give me that
> will lead me to finding my own solution? It would be much appreciated.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet ...

\showframe
\setupheadertexts[\setups{header}]

\startsetups header
  \getmarking[chapter]
\stopsetups

\starttext
\startchapter[title={This is a chapter}]
  \input knuth
  \page
  \input knuth
\stopchapter

\startchapter[title={This is a title}, number=no]
  \input ward
  \page
  \input knuth
\stopchapter