> Am 03.01.2021 um 22:24 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl>:
>
> On 1/3/2021 10:02 PM, BPJ wrote:
>> I understand that and it is all well and good. I am wondering if there
>> already is *another* text which presupposes basic knowledge of TeX and
>> general knowledge of LaTeX, perhaps in a by-topic style.
> I think this relates to the question how someone comes to tex and then to
> context. Are tex macro packages used alongside and such? Are there 'from
> word/office to tex' or reverse manuals? What could be a motivation to write
> one.

I guess most ConTeXt users migrated from LaTeX at some point, so that guide
would really make sense. But I can’t write it either, even if I’m also working
with LaTeX (but just as a user of one special class).

If I run into a problem in LaTeX that I know to solve in ConTeXt, the approach
is never right.

I think the similarities of LaTeX and ConTeXt are mostly misleading, you’re
better off trying to forget everything and start anew.

In LaTeX most problems are solved with “use this or that package”, without the
need to understand the commands and settings involved, while in ConTeXt most
problems are solved with \setupsomething[somekey=somevalue].

Of course it helps to understand basic TeX stuff – but you’re not supposed to
use (plain) TeX commands in LaTeX, while it is or was much more usual in
ConTeXt.

Writing my book I have users of text processors (Word/LibreOffice) and layout
applications (InDesign etc.) in mind, even if I assume that most readers (if
I’ll ever publish it...) will come from LaTeX.

> So, one way out could be to have some collection of tips / suggestions and
> turn that into a kind of manual. Something to do by those who make some
> transition or use alongside. The wiki is the place start with that.
>
> So .. up to users.

Yes, and that means: up to users migrating from LaTeX and documenting their
struggles.

Hraban