On 2/6/2021 12:01 AM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

On 2/5/21 10:30 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
Is this ok for you?

tex error       > tex error on line 6 in file ./oeps.tex: Undefined control sequence

<line 3.6> \v

  4
  5     \starttext
  6 >>  \v
  7     \stoptext
  8

Otared has already replied what I was thinking: would it be possible, for a certain period of time, to not stop compilation, but flag the issue on the console? When you say that such changes won't happen suddenly, this would be a wonderful compromise for me. My consolidated bibtex database began its life many many years ago, when bibtex was still pure 7bit, and you had to pepper your sources with all sorts of silly workarounds in order to get accents and umlauts and whatever you wanted. Those were the days - barefoot through the snow, and it was uphill both ways...
So how did you do the greek then?

I played a bit with an alternative implementation (same commands): less hash and mem, delegate more to lua. That way we can a less cost issue such a message (once only of course). There is of course a price to pay

% .16 sec per 100000 \"u : old method (more mkii-ish)
% .25 sec per 100000 \"u : new method (more lmtx-ish)

(actually with mkii in pdftex we need .3 seconds, xetex freezes with 100K but needs 0.53 for 10K, luatex needs 0.18)

but I'm sure you don't care much about that so I just implements a variant with warning which takes .19 seconds per 100K so it's a nice compromise. (Probably less than half of that time on your machine.)

system > instead of old school '\"u' you can input the utf sequence ü

(The old school narative is that context is slow, which is why we need to keep an eye on performance, right?)