It seems \startstarticMPfigure ... \stopstaticMPfigure is now a wrapper for
reusable MP graphics, so auxiliary files are no longer generated. I don't
think this counts as an answer but you could use \typesetbuffer and
\startMPpage ... \stopMPpage instead. Two auxiliary PDF files with funny
names are generated.

\startbuffer[center]

\startMPpage

draw fullcircle scaled 2cm ;

dotlabel.bot(textext("(0,0)"),origin) ;

\stopMPpage

\stopbuffer

\startbuffer[radius]

\startMPpage

draw fullcircle scaled 2cm ;

drawarrow (0,0)--(1cm,0) ;

label.bot(textext("$r$"),(5mm,0)) ;

\stopMPpage

\stopbuffer

\starttext

Circle centered \typesetbuffer[center][width=1cm] at origin with radius

\typesetbuffer[radius][width=1cm] $r=1\,\text{cm}$.

\stoptext

Regards,

Jairo