If you were to add a start-stopquotation block to Wolfgang's example, you'd
see that the resulting paragraph has lost its narrowness. Is there a way to
allow quotes to protrude into the left margin while preserving the
narrowness of start-stopquotation blocks? My own solution is not to
\setupquotation[method=font] but to define a delimited text environment
whose method=font, and use it when a paragraph begins with a quotation.

I have attached my own mwe. You can toggle the \setquotation command with
--mode=font.

Does anyone have a more elegant, or better yet, a correct solution?

With kind regards,

Michael

On Sat, Jun 5, 2021 at 7:36 AM Sandra Snan <sandra.s...@idiomdrottning.org>
wrote:

> Thank you both for your help. Additionally, I needed to make sure that
> \setupbodyfont comes after all this. But now I've finally got the
> margin-potruding quotations of my dreams.
>
> <denis.ma...@ub.unibe.ch> writes:

\showgrid
\showframe[text][text]

\setupwhitespace[medium]
\setuplayout[grid=yes]

\definefontfeature
  [default]
  [default]
  [protrusion=quality,
   expansion=quality]
\setupalign[hz,hanging]

% Definition inherits, followed by setting up
\definedelimitedtext[parquote][quotation]
\setupdelimitedtext[parquote][method=font]
\def\parquotation#1{\startparquote{#1}\stopparquote}

% Provide protrusion for quotations.
\startmode[font]
  \setupquotation[method=font] % Toggle this line to see the effect.
\stopmode

\starttext
  \quotation{Love makes the world go round,}as an old proverb has it\ldots

  “Love makes the world go round,” as an old proverb has it\ldots

  \parquotation{Love makes the world go round,} as an old proverb has it\ldots

  \startquotation
    \input tufte
  \stopquotation