Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context writes:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2021, Rainer J.H. Brandt via ntg-context wrote:
>
> > But, as I said, my texmf.cnf sets TEXMFCACHE to $TEXMFSYSVAR;$TEXMFVAR,
> > and TEXMFSYSVAR is /var/opt/texlive.  Why is that ignored?
>
> mtxrun (and context MKIV and LMTX) do not read texmf.cnf rather read values
> from contextcnf.lua (it used to be texmfcnf.lua, not sure how TL handles
> this).

Thanks a lot.  That put me on the right track.  I see that this file is
mentioned on the wiki, but I hadn't recognized its importance.

I have found and edited texmfcnf.lua, and made progress.

> You can also try setting it explicitly in the shell:
>
> $ TEXMFCACHE=/var/opt/texlive/texmf-cache mtxrun --generate

I tried to avoid that, and thanks to your pointer above, won't need that.

However, I'm still not completely happy:  I've set TEXMFCACHE to contain
/var/opt/texlive first and then also an individual directory under $HOME.
When I run context under my personal account, it only uses the second.
I assume that's because I may not write under the first.  There's a comment
in texmfcnf.lua about that.

Does it perhaps make no sense at all to have a system-wide luatex-cache?

Thank you,
Rainer