Hi,

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 12:01:08AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >      \definefontfeature
> >        [default:test]
> >        [default]
> >        [cv36=2,cv26=6]
>
> What is the number supposed to indicate ? It is not an alternate, right?

Actually it is an alternate, but only partially.

> >      \definefont
> >        [SomeFont]
> >        [name:iosevka*default:test]
> >      \starttext
> >      \SomeFont
> >      I live in a dot-heavy world.
> >      \stoptext
> >
> > has six dots instead of one dot over each "i". Tests with multiple other
> > font shapers and inspection of the font file confirmed that this is not
> > intentional behavior.
> >
> > Could you take a look at that?
> > (Based on a luotfload bug report at
> > https://github.com/latex3/luaotfload/issues/202)
> when a number is specified for a multiple and the is > 1 we repeat the last
> glyph ... this is a 'secret' feature that (already a while ago) we added
> when discussing / testing a experimental arabic font in combination with a
> paragraph optimizer ... normally users will say 'yes' and not give a number

Thanks, this explains a lot. In this font it's problematic though
because the cv.. features have multiple loopup tables, one of which is a
"multiple" lookup (used to decompose characters before applying the
replacements, especially decomposing i into the stem and the dot)
and another one is an "alternate" lookup providing multiple character
variants.
So selecting one of the other alternates requires that a number is
passed, but passing the number enables the repetition in the multiple
lookup...

> i can make that a 'context only' feature if needed

That would certainly solve the issue for me, but it might be nice to
provide a solution for context users too. Maybe the feature could be
adapted to only interpret the argument as a replication factor if the
"multiple" is the only lookup for the feature or if no other lookup
for the feature is an alternate lookup?

Best,
Marcel