> The normal double column mechanism tries to place a graphic, stores it when
> there is no place, and flushes it as soon as possible.
>
> The \startcolumns mechanism works well intermixed with the standard one
> column mode.
>
> In your case, esp for vertical chinese, use columnsets:
>
> \startcolumnset
>
> \placefigure[tblr:1]{}{}
> \placefigure[tblr:2]{}{}
>
> \input tufte
>
> \stopcolumnset
>
> This will place the floats on top of the first and second column; an
> alternative usage is:
>
> \placefigure[tblr]{}{}
> \placefigure[tbrl]{}{}
>
> Think of tb meaning flush from top to bottom, and lr to mean from left to
> right; so, there are quite some ways to place/flush a graphic.

Thanks. It place the figures side by side correctly. But, there is another problem.
After the two figures, it force a page break and leave a large blank even though
the blank area can accommodate the next paragraph. I attached the test file
and waht I really want is:

One column texts
two figures sidebyside
One column texts