Maarten Sneep <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Hello Maarten,

> But the disadvantage of 8r is that in most languages the line-breaking
> algorithm performs badly. Take the dutch "verifi\"{e}ren".

so the 'funny' character is ediaeresis ? It is defined in 8r as well
as in ec, so the hyphenation does not make any differences here. (In
my test, I could not get rid of the accent, but the 8r and ec
hyphenation were identical.)

You are right though, this is why I wrote "in my german and english
texts".

> In the default 8r it doesn't break correcly, near the accent. In ec it does
> break well.

I could not confirm it here.

> I don't know about texnansi.

It should be exactly like ec/8r.

> I'm sure others can give better examples, and explain why the
> wordbreaking doesn't work correctly.

Because of the \accent macro???

Patrick