On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 23:39:15 +0100
Patrick Gundlach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jens-Uwe Morawski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>

> >> \setupencoding[default=8r]
> >
> > what is the advantage of using 8r instead of ec or texnansi?
>
> It is a matter of taste and the characters you need. There is no big
> difference for my german and english texts.

> Sometimes I need glyphs that are encoded in 8r but not in ec (euro sign
> for example). I never use glyphs that are encoded in ec but not in
> 8r.

some time ago Hans and me discussed how to make TS1 symbols available.
I've never tried it but it sounds interesting since it is an unified
way to access the symbols. For example for Palatino

add to the typescripts

\definefontsynonym [PalatinoSymbols] [<TS1-Font>]
\definefontsynonym [PalatinoSymbolsBold] [<TS1-Bold-Font>]

\definefontsynonym [SerifSymbols] [PalatinoSymbols]
\definefontsynonym [SerifSymbolsBold] [PalatinoSymbolsBold]

and define the symbols in a symbol-typescript

\definesymbol[textregistered] [{\symbol[\currentencoding-registered]}]
\definesymbol[ec-registered][\getglygh{SerifSymbols}{\char123}]

this could add the capability that the LaTeX textcomp package provides

Jens