The OS in question (minix), isn't in the main CPU - it's in the CPU of the
management engine, which is completely separate, and doesn't, or at least
shouldn't, affect system performance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Active_Management_Technology#Hardware

That actually makes it worse, since as long as the machine is connect to
power, even though putatively "off", the management engine is available.
That is, if it's been configured. This is an enterprise feature, so the ME
is usually not active in consumer-grade computers.

But, if it's present and turned on, then it's pretty risky:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/09/chipzilla_come_closer_closer_listen_dump_ime/

But there's some hope, of a sort - Google is on the case:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/google-removing-minix-management-engine-intel,35876.html

Kurt