Niki:

The ping difference means that DNS (or the hosts file) is resolving the one
server and WINS (lmhosts file) the other. For example, I have 2 servers
(server01 and server02). I have a DNS namespace of div1.company.com. I have
both valid WINS server(s) and DNS server(s). The 1st server, server01 is
registered in DNS and the 2nd is not. My client is setup to use DNS to first
resolve the name.

When I ping server01, it replies server01.div1.company.com [192.168.100.50],
when I ping server02 DNS does not have this host name so WINS ends up replying
with server02 [192.168.100.55]. Either way should work and would not matter to
Exchange. I would check to make sure both servers are properly registered in
WINS.

Go to the CMD prompt and type: NBTSTAT -a server01  (your server name goes
here)

You should get a listing at a minimum similar to this:
           NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

       Name                   Type                 Status

    SERVER02        <00>  UNIQUE         Registered
    DOM01                <00>  GROUP          Registered
    SERVER02        <20>  UNIQUE         Registered

    MAC Address = 99-99-99-99-99-99

The first <00> is the unique computername registration by the workstation
service. The other <00> group is the domain name registered saying that this
computer is a member of this domain or workgroup. The <20> unique is
registered by the server service I believe. You may certainly have other
entries besides these, especially if the one server is the PDC.

I would double check your WINS settings and make sure the servers are both
registered properly in WINS. Whether the ping to a server is answered by WINS
or DNS should not matter to the NetBIOS resolution for the Exchange server you
are trying to add. Pinging any server in my organization will always give you
a servername.div1.company.com answer to the ping.

Thanks

                    Niki Blowfield

                    <niki.blowfield@partit        To:     "NT System Admin Issues"

                    ion.co.uk>
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                                  cc:

                    08/24/2001 07:56 AM           Subject:     Netbios name resolves
to domain name
                    Please respond to "NT

                    System Admin Issues"

Hi

We have an NT4 Domain, with one Exchange 5.5 server on the PDC.

I have attempted to install another Exchange server into the site, but the
installation
fails at the end, with an error asking me to check if the directory service is
started.

The service is started, so upon investigation of technet, it mentions name
resolution
on the two servers.

I have checked, and when I ping the server name of the server I'm trying to
install,
it resolves it to a domain name. e.g.;

ping NEWEXCHSERVER

pinging NEWEXCHSERVER.CO.UK [201.167.xxx.xxx]

etc etc

Whereas, if I ping the other way, it works okay. e.g.

ping EXISTINGEXCSERVER

pinging EXISTINGEXCSERVER [192.168.2.25]

etc

I have entered the new server into the lmhosts file of the exchange server and
rebooted, but no difference.

could this be the problem? if so, any ideas on a resolution

Nik