File fragmentation has a negative impact on performance, because it
makes reading files much much harder.

Regular defragmentation allows the drive and the OS to make better use
of caching for file reads, among other things.

 ASB - http://www.ultratech-llc.com/KB/?File=~MoreInfo.TXT
 "Any woman is a volume if one knows how to read her."