--- Benjamin Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Ivan von Winlamerberg wrote:
> > By definition term "Fragmentation" doesn't apply to a
> journalling FS.
>
>   I am curious as to what definition(s) of "fragmentation" or
> "journalling"
> that statement is true.  All a journalling FS does is apply a
> transaction
> log to the filesystem, so that changes are written in full or
> not at all.
> Nothing about that affects fragmentation.

On the actual level - low level, which is something too hard to
ask a windows person about. Thanx a lot, all I needed to know was
whether I need to use a defragger of some sort.

As for what "all it does" actually does, there a white pages on
the IBM, SGI and other sites. There is an interesting read also on
how and what SCSI, ATA, HDD controllers "do", how many times
abstraction layers are crossed in the process and what "geometry"
stands for. It's all very, very different from what it was when
NTFS was born for the first time.

=====
This email is intended to be received by the intended recipient only. If the sender
misdirected this email to you and you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
obligated by law (1)to immediately notify the sender of your unauthorized receipt of
this confidential and privileged information, (2)delete all copies including backups,
(3)reinitialize any hard drives on which it resided, (4)surrender all of your
computing equipment and your person to the applicable law enforcement authorities for
prosecution