From: Correa, Andre [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 10:39 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Folder Convolutions

1)
Since you stated you have both Win2K clients and a Win2k server, you don't
need to explicitly share each user folder.  Sharing Users$ is enough.  Use
login script and map home drive like:

Net use h: \\Win2kSrv\Users$
I would also change the user permissions from Full control to Change, as
they will have all necessary permissions they need, but with Full control
they have the added luxury of attempting to lock you out of the folder, a
PITA when you have to take ownership of a folder with 18 levels.

2)
For the shared folder;  your permissions seem OK to me

3)
Shared Apps:  Very Intuitive!!  I would have gone a different, perhaps more
complicated way....

My suggestion would be to lock out the users and use RUNAS (or SU from the
Resource Kit ~ looks like the better option) and setup a service account.
Give the service account permission to view the directory, and change the
shortcut to start SU instead of the actual program.  You may have an icon on
all the users desks pointing to a network share, but you only have to create
a batch file (I prefer CMDs) once on the server, make a shortcut to it, and
copy it to the Desktop section of All Users for each workstation.  All can
be scripted.

My $.02, and I hope it helps :)

Andre Correa
Senior Manager/Information Technology