And do not forget
SDLT a new version of DLT.
Robert

-----Original Message-----
From: Benjamin Scott [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2001 6:17 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Backup Device Advice?

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Murray Binette wrote:
> Our 4GB Travan tape drive is starting to get a bit for our Small
> Business Server (NT 4.0 sp6). We're looking at something in the 20+GB
> range. If anyone has any advice regarding. different types of tape drive
> technology (DDS vs. QIC vs. DAT....) I'm not to sure what the advantages
> of one format over the other are.

  This is from my notes on the various tape technologies.  This is personal
opinion and experience, suplamented by marketing info and web stories, so
take it with a grain of salt:

  QIC = Quarter Inch Cartridge.  QIC is what Travan evolved from.
Adequate for very small businesses or home use, but fairly limited.  TR5
is 10 GB native.  Slower.  Drives are cheap, tapes are expensive.  Tapes
wear out quickly.  Imation's baby.  http://www.qic.org/

  DAT = Digital Audio Tape.  DDS = Digital Data Storage.  DAT is a 4mm
tape, in a cassette that is slightly smaller than a traditional analog
audio cassette.  Stores audio in digital format.  DDS is DAT used for data
storage.  Same basic technology.  DDS-4 is 20 GB native.  Reasonable speed
and reliability.  Drives are more expensive than Travan but still under
$1K, tapes are cheap.  DDS has been around for a long time, and likely
will be around for a long time.  Multi-vendor.  http://www.dds-tape.com/

  DLT = Digital Linear Tape.  Evolved out of the old DEC TK50.  Larger,
square-ish cartridge, with a single reel.  There is a take-up spool in the
drive.  Fast.  Rock-solid.  Somewhat expensive.  Very scalable.  Has been
around forever, and will be around for the foreseeable future.  Quantum's
baby these days.  http://www.dlttape.com/

  AIT = Advanced Intelligent Tape.  8mm cassette.  Looks like DDS but
twice the size.  Fast.  Fairly expensive.  Relatively new.  AIT2 is 50 GB
native. Sony's baby.  http://www.aittape.com/

  LTO = Linear Tape Open.  Two form-factors, a single-reel called Ultrium,
and a dual-reel called Accelis.  A new format, forged by a partnership
between IBM, Seagate, and HP.  "Open" format.  Fast.  Fairly expensive.
Ultrium is 100 GB native.  http://www.lto-technology.com/

  VXA.  Doesn't stand for anything.  Relatively new.  Supposed to be good,
fast, and cheap.  VXA-1/V17 gives you 33 GB native.  Ecrix's baby.
http://www.vxa.com

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>