I've got two 'Linksys' brand 'Etherfast II 24 port switches' in use at my company here and they've been great. I would say it that it depends on how complex your network is in terms of whether or not you need to get a managed device (an indirect way of saying I have -no- idea what the specific benefits of a managed device are, only that it probably caters to scenarios of increased network complexity). Linksys products are cheap and from 4-5 years of retail experience I can say they have a relatively low failure rate (rate of return).  If at all possible, spend the extra bucks and go with switches. They are MUCH more efficient than conventional hubs.
I'm not going to re-invent the wheel by describing the differences between a hub and a switch, check out www.atomica.com (use the search at the top to look for 'lan switch' and 'lan hub').

Good Luck!
-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Wright [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2001 1:09 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Hub Recommendations

I need to replace one of my hubs (the smoke leaked out of the box) and would appreciate some recommendations.  I'd like to get three 24 port auto-sensing 10/100 units.  This will give me 8-10 spare ports for expansion in our 65-node network.

What is the difference between a hub and a managed hub?  Should I consider installing switches rather than plain hubs?

Brand recommendations?  We've been using Intel units but I have no loyalty to any particular product line at this time.

Roger Wright
Southern Commerce Bank
___

Among economists, the real world is often a special case. --Horngren

_______

NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic message is considered privileged and confidential under Florida Statutes 455.251 and 3905.017. It is intended solely for the use of the recipient named above. If the reader is not the recipient named above, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or disclosure of the contents of this message is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail message in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy the original message.