I just did such a thing.  If you are upgrading a software RAID 1 system to
Win2K, the mirror is preserved.  According to MS documentation, a software
mirror cannot be created on basic disks.  Which means that if you brake the
mirror before the upgrade (that is what I did to have a backup image just in
case), the only way to create it on Win2K machine is to convert disk to dynamic.

On my second machine with mirrored disks I did an upgrade without braking a
mirror.  The drives are still showing up as mirrored  on basic disks after the
upgrade.  According to the "Disk Concepts and Troubleshooting" chapter of a
Win2K Resource Kit:
*** Start quote *****
You can perform the following tasks only on a basic disk:
   Create and delete primary and extended partitions.
   Create and delete logical drives within an extended partition.
    Format a partition and mark it as active.
    Delete volume, striped, mirror, or stripe sets with parity.
    Break a mirror from a mirror set.
    Repair failed legacy FT volumes such as mirror sets or stripe sets with
parity.
*** End quote *****

Andrey Kalinin
Senior LAN Engineer
S&P

"Jan Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 09/10/2001 04:47:04 PM

Please respond to "NT System Admin Issues"
      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>