There are a number of problems you leave out. First, I have sniffed a
switched network before and it is not that hard. You need only overflow
a switch with more bogus MAC addresses than it can handle and suddenly
you have a hub. Even without any effort my snort box picks up loads of
traffic it "shouldn't" behind two switches. You can probably assume you
are safe from sniffing behind a router, unless there is a compromised
box behind it with you.

Second, you may have plenty to be afraid of. If someone sends you an
html mail with a linked image from a child porn site, by having it open
by accident in a preview window you could suddenly be catogorized as a
child porn viewer by some automatic tool. I have had several very
disturbed and concerned users contact me about incidents like this with
html mail.

I have no worries about reactions to this tragedy as I beleive that the
vast majority of indivuals have good intentions even if their actions
aren't perfect. What I worry about are overreactions. I woke up today
much angrier than I was yesterday and I can think of some pretty
horrible overreactions that I might be willing to support in the
aftermath of the attacks. One can only hope that the leaders of my
country and others have a better handle on their emotions than the
general population.

jbh