You know, I have experienced the same thing, I don't know what it is.
I've volunteered my time to many different organizations and none seem to
take me up on my time.

I think they have discovered, as have many other businesses, that their
computer systems are important enough to their operation to spend money
on.  So they spend money on building a reliable trust relationship with a
repair/sales house.  Just because they don't "take a profit" doesn't mean
they don't need someone when they need them.  And volunteer folks like you
and me aren't always available when they need us!