We have a Windows 2000 (SP2) print server with 28 HP LaserJet network
printers attached.
I am trying to get the alerts set up so that an alert is sent out when
certain workhorse printers (5Si/8000) run out of paper or generate a "not
ready" condition (such as the printer being off-line).  However, I cannot
get any alerts sent out, despite the fact I have several of these printers
off-line.

If I go into http://<printserver>/printers and check the printers out, IIS
can see that the printers are off-line.  I know the alert functioning works
because I generated messages the other night for items like "Total Pages
Printed".  I have gone into JetAdmin but cannot find anything extra that
would need configuring and, anyhow, the above link shows that the printer is
off-line, so some part of the box knows the printer is off-line.
Microsoft's knowledge base has turned up nothing and I have been unable to
find anything in Groups Google.  Another oddity is that if you graph the
alerts, the out of paper and not ready alerts are always at zero.

Any ideas?  Is there some setting I am missing?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Tom Kustner
PC/LAN Engineer
Wells Fargo Retirement Plan Services

Any opinions are strictly my own and not necessarily those of Wells Fargo.