Basically, we have two fully functional networks, both with Cisco 1720
routers.  We want to keep the networks separate and only want to be able to
use a single T-1 instead of separate T-1s.  Both routers and T-1
connections are in the same wiring closet.  What I would like to do is use
some sort of switch for both routers to plug into and from the switch, plug
into the single T-1.  We originally had their network connected to our and
had all sorts of issues between our NT4 servers and their Win2K servers,
which is why they went with a separate router and T-1.

HTH,
Pat

Pat Marshall
Systems Administrator
Microsoft Certified Professional
Flying Rhinoceros
1440 NW Overton Street
Portland, OR  97209
(503) 552-8700
(503) 221-7282 (Fax)

                    Steven.Beckwith@lsa

                    -assoc.com                 To:     "NT System Admin Issues"

                                               <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                    09/28/01 02:01 PM          cc:

                    Please respond to          Subject:     RE: Router connection
issue
                    "NT System Admin

                    Issues"

I don't know what a white Russian is but it sounds good for a Friday.
Don't start a whole discussion on it - enough noise already.

1) the T-1 is a digital line that connects to a CSU/DSU (serial connection)
on your router.  As Jason points out, CSU's can be internal or external and
I suspect you have an internal WIC card similar to his set up which is why
there may be confusion.

Although you may have an RJ-45 connector and a regular patch cord (you
could actually use a regular phone line), it is NOT an ethernet type
connection, so only one router can host this connection (You could opt for
a THIRD router in your solution).

2) you are also going to need to know about how many "real" (outside) IP
addresses you have and whether you intend to "share" them (NAT - Network
address translation) or whether you will "redirect" them (PAT - Port
address translation).

A few other questions come to mind. Is there any inbound traffic that needs
to be directed to a specific box (www, smtp) i.e. Do you or the other
company want to have exchange servers or web servers accessible from the
internet (in which case you will need dedicated static outside IP addresses
for each service) or do you both still get mail via pop3, (in which case
maybe you can get by with NAT).  How many nodes each office, what types of
routers are these?

I like the idea of sharing resources to keep costs down, but I need to say
AMEN to the Firewalling suggestion, esp. to protect your network from
theirs and vice versa (as well as obviously - the outside).