From: Michael W. Ellis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2001 9:13 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: VPN question

I have a remote user who needs to connect to our corporate LAN over his
Internet connection.  The corporate end of the connection has already
been verified by another user in a different remote office.  Thus far
the new user has been unable to connect, and as far as I can tell none
of his packets reach my server.  His office has Internet connectivity
provided by a third party, so I asked him to verify with them that they
will allow outbound PPTP connections.  Their response was that they do
not for security reasons.  To enable this for his office they want to
assign a static IP address (more $ per month) and charge a setup fee
(again, more $).  I have repeatedly stated that he needs to establish an
outbound connection, but they insist that they must open inbound ports
(hence the static IP).  I'm no firewall expert, nor a PPTP expert, but
I'm just not buying their line.  Any comments on this topic are
appreciated.

Michael Ellis

Want to unsub? Do that here: http://www.w2knews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=unsub
Need a good FAQ? Try this one first: http://www.ultratech-llc.com/KB/