If you do strictly an upgrade - not a domain restructure you won't have to go back to the workstations. They'll be migrated as well
-----Original Message-----
From: Uso [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2001 3:29 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Win2K Migration: Workst. before Servers - pro/cons

Hi,

we are planning to move to Win2K and we were thinking to move the Workstations 1st. The idea was that we are not familiar yet with W2K technology, still need to get training, try things out in a lab etc. in the mean time we thought we could at least start migrating our workstations (all NT 4.0) to W2K Proff.
I was looking on the net for any information if that's such a good idea. So far it sounds feasible.

Now someone adviced me against this and recommended doing the Servers first. His remark was, that
"this will prevent a second pass on all your workstations to get them to join the new domain that you will setup when you migrate to active directory."

Does that make sense? You have to add each workstation manually to the new Infrastructure? Can't the computer accounts be migrated?
Would appreciate your remarks, pointers to resources..

Obviously you can see that I need lots of time, training etc. to get a grip on this Win2K migration issue (btw we are talking a single domain here, around 25 servers, 700 users).

regards

Uso

Want to unsub? Do that here:
http://www.w2knews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=unsub