Title: RE: ArcServeIT vs. Backup Exec

Don't forget to check out UltraBac too.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Moreau [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2001 12:02 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: ArcServeIT vs. Backup Exec

Dan,

I have no experience with Veritas but I'm thinking of switching to it.

I've been using Arcservit for some time and I have to agree that their
support really *stinks*. I'm currently using Arcserveit 2000 and was
having a ton of trouble with it.  I finally spent 2 hours on the phone
being bumped around until someone with a *little* knowledge showed up.

Basically, if you install Arcservit 2000 make darn sure you install the
latest and greatest patches starting with SP2.

Some of my experiences were:

1. Full backups not happening and the temp directory becoming full.
2. Could not read the status or details of a tape without first using the
inventory feature.
3. Very slow to back up Snap Servers.
4. Database getting corrupt.

Since I applied SP2 and all the latest patches everything seems to be fine
with the exception of one continuous problem:

If I make a modification to a backup schedule then SAVE it then use the
little -x- in the top right corner to close it the program freezes and I
have to use task manager to kill it.  I refuse to call their tech
supportless group anymore.

Good luck!

Stephen

Want to unsub? Do that here: