Good point. Splitting DNS service and registrar services offers limited protection from bastard domain registrars. Because the registrar controls the records that point to the DNS servers themselves. If you run into a dispute with your registrar (like GoDaddy shutting down sites whenever anyone asks) then they just point the nameservers at different DNS servers. If they also control the DNS itself, they can do this immediately vs. the 48 hour propogation time it may take to change NS records at the registry. Small comfort.

More important is to stay away from unscrupulous domain registrars. Tucows is one of the best, but try wrestling a domain away from GoDaddy. I've dealt with the situation several times and it can be a nightmare.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Gill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "NT System Admin Issues" <ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2007 5:49 PM
Subject: RE: Looking for a DNS provider

Why do you want talk about registrars like that? I mean, the way it comes
across in your message, you do this often? I would think you would want a
registrar that holds a higher level of confidence in such statements.

Anyway, the point is if you register all your domains at the same registrar, then you gain ease and convenience in those areas for managing DNS. I don't
use a tier 1 registrar, but the sub of TUCOWS that I use have not given me
one reason to change in over 4 years of use.  I'm all for splitting up
services but those two go so nicely together I'm wondering why you want to
do what you're doing.

--
Mike Gill