Used to be a utility called DumpACL, maybe now called DumpSec that may
help... Not sure if it is as 'powerful' as you want but is still good for
documenting for recovery and audits

-----Original Message-----
From: Ziots, Edward [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 11:04 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Documentation, Restore and snapshoting of Server permissions
software question

To the list,

After much angst and nagging, I have been given the go ahead to take a look
into software that will do the following. For those with experience in using
software to cover these areas and others, please feel free to chime in what
has worked well for you and your staffs.

I need the software to do the following.

1) Snapshot the NTFS/Share permissions on a server by server basis over
time, to assist in recovery if my helpdesk etc etc steps on the permissions
and causes issues with the servers.  ( I believe Scriptlogic and Security
Explorer and a few others in this realm I have seen but not played with
personally)

2) Eventlog management tools to track, alert, manage and archive logs to a
SQL Database or other remote medium for auditing and compliance. I can see
this with both Agent based and non-agent based deployments. ( GFI, SMS, MOM,
Configuresoft, Netpro, Quest, etc etc?) I am looking to track the following:
AD changes, modifications, down to an attribute level, server permission
changes, additions, deletes at the file and folder level, with a nice
reporting mechanism accordingly, to get proactive with this) ( Also its an
internal audit recommendation)

Feel free to chime in on the good/bad/ugly of the situation.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
12:05 PM

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
12:05 PM